GraphControl ApplyTemplate() not being called...

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:45 PM
Edited Feb 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM

In the Silverlight Graphlight.Demo, the GraphControl is a child of a TabControl. 
In my test application, I want just the GraphControl, not the parent TabControl, or
combo that allows you to switch graphs.

So, I have the following in my xaml.

<Grid x:Name="LayoutRoot">
        <Grid.RowDefinitions>
            <RowDefinition Height="*" />
        </Grid.RowDefinitions>

<Drawing:GraphControl x:Name="ctrlGraph" Graph="{Binding Graph, Mode=TwoWay}" />
    </Grid>
Upon execution, the vertices would stack on one another, and none of the edges would render. There was also an exception 
being thrown in the GraphControl.addEdge() method concerning a null _graphItems. If I added the GraphControl as a child of the TabControl,
everything would work.

I've tracked this down to the fact that OnApplyTemplate() is not being called before the onLoaded() event is handled, resulting in null
_graphItems object during the Layout().

On the silverlight forums, I came across this post, where a MS Developer states we should call ApplyTemplate() in our Loaded handling method
because it is not guaranteed that the OnApplyTemplate() method is called before the Loaded handling in Silverlight.

http://forums.silverlight.net/p/27294/93181.aspx

void onLoaded(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e)
        {
          // New...
          ApplyTemplate();

if (!_isLoaded)
            {
                _isLoaded = true;
                Layout();
            }
            else
            {
                fillVerteces();
                fillEdges();
            }
        }

Graphlight developers, does this make any sense? Is there another/better way for me to handle this?

Thanks